Thursday, December 12, 2013

Not smoking

Today I feel that I must address the not smoking portion of the bariatric surgery topic.  This is information you need regardless of the surgery option you choose.

I was a smoker.  I smoked a little, like 4 or 5 cigarettes a day for many years.  I enjoy a good glass of wine and when I would have that, I would easily increase the smoking to half a pack or more.  So when I decided to have surgery I had to quit smoking.  Easy?  NO.

I had talked to my brother and my therapist and they both told me about the vaporizers.  I finally broke down and bought one.  So, here is what I have to say about the vaporizer and how it has helped me.

I went to a little store in Omaha, NE called Plumes off 120th and Dodge and purchased a starter kit for 29.99 which is the vaporizer unit with a charger and a case.  I also bought a bottle of zero mg flavoring.  I got the beetlejuice flavor which is a delightful fruity flavor.  Anyway, it is basically sugar water that is thick like a nectar.  Now, most people would buy this with nicotine, but you can get it nicotine free, which is what I did.

This contraption is a lifesaver.  I haven't touched a cigarette since I got it.  My husband has also managed to quit and is now a vaporizer "smoker".  He got the flavor called mint thol.  It is a minty menthol flavor with no nicotine.  Amazing amazing amazing.

So you inhale the flavored sugar water and exhale a vapor that resembled smoke.  It really does give you that hand to mouth satisfaction that smoking used to provide.  I have absolutely no desire to smoke and love the way I feel. 

If you have surgery and decide to smoke again, I want you to be forewarned that you WILL end up in the hospital.  The smoking will cause lesions and ulcers and you will bleed.  It isn't a pleasant thing and if you end up with a bleeding ulcer, you can end up having your surgery reversed, that is unless you have had the gastric sleeve and then you're just screwed.  Sorry to be so blunt, but it is the reality.

So, get a vaporizer and quit smoking.  It is your life and your future and did you really just go through an operation just to screw it all up?  No, not likely.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox about smoking.

So, my surgery is on only 4 days and I'm more excited than ever.  My friend Jackie brought me a big box filled with samples and containers to measure serving sizes.  I'm so blessed to have friends that I can count on and that love me so much.  Jackie, if you're reading this, I love you and I'm so glad you're in my life.

I am going to go for now, but I will blog more at another time.

Hugs,
Cody

2 comments:

  1. Cody I am reading this and am very proud of you!!! I love you too. We've known each other the better part of our lives. We helped each other through one of the most tragic events of our younger lives---- wow it was 24 yrs ago----- we may have grown up(a little) and grown apart for many years, but our caring and love for one another has never waivered. Not even when I made that drunken 3 am call to cuss you out all those yrs ago. Lol you can thank your brother for that by the way. :) Fate has a way to bring people back together when the time is right and this was no exception. We were meant to reconnect and help each other through this journey. I can't wait!!! You are doing great and will continue to do great...there is no doubt in my mind. I will see you Tuesday and please call or text if you need anything, anything at all. Give Your husband my number too in case he needs something or has a question. I will be here with you every step of the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you made me cry! We are going to do this together and be stronger because of it!! I love you too and I am so proud of the progress you've made. I can't wait to be there too!

      Hugs!!

      Cody

      Delete